Wednesday, October 25, 2006

This and that

You might have thought midterm week would present an excellent occasion for a little extra prayer, but apparently not. Our Tuesday afternoon congregation was reduced to three students and myself. I sometimes hang back a little on the responses because I tend to blurt out the wrong ones (slightly different wording from another church, that is) and the students were hanging back also, which meant our poor presider was left to answer himself a couple of times. Oops. I'm not sure preaching to a congregation of four would be very rewarding, either, but he did an admirable job with that as well. Afterwards, we all took a close look at the carving of the man and guide dog behind the altar and decided the writing was in Welsh, but that's as far as we got with it.

===
One of the students who works in our office is a senior who was thinking about applying to seminary for next year, but now he's pretty sure he won't. He's a religion major who took the same course last year that I'm taking now, and we've had some interesting conversations about it. In fact, through our conversations I sometimes feel I'm vicariously completing his religion major with him without having to sit down and write the senior thesis, which is fine by me. I think I was also sort of hoping to vicariously go on to seminary with him, so I find myself a little disappointed, but overall I think this is a good thing. If it's meant to be he'll get there eventually, and he'll be a better seminary student for the other things he's done in the meantime. I'm going to miss him when he graduates, though; time to start looking for a new conversation partner.

===
Meanwhile, I've been looking into my options for a course to take or audit next semester and finding nothing on campus that feels just right. Poking around on the web I discovered that a Catholic college about an hour a way from us offers a Graduate Certificate in Spirituality at a location that's more or less just around the corner. This would be a very strange thing to sign up for under the circumstances, but it struck me as an intriguing possibility so I asked them to send me info. Out of the frying pan and ... what, back into the frying pan? Ah, well, they probably wouldn't have me anyway, but it's an interesting possibility to consider.

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger St. Michael the Archangel said...

Good luck with the course, it is funny how God leads us, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home