Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Makes perfect sense to me

It's fall break week and even though a lot of students have stayed around, things are noticeably calmer than last week when they had midterms. I felt the difference as soon as I got to campus yesterday, and I realized the stress had been affecting me even though I don't have to jump through those hoops any more. Been there, did that, as they say.

I worry sometimes about the amount of pressure these kids are under, and I try to be sensitive to how the ones I know are doing. I've also been turning my bulletin board (home to plastic Jesus and plastic Freud) into a sort of self-help station.

I put up the seal that says I sat through the school's official depression awareness training, along with some fliers that describe the symptoms of depression and list where you can turn for help. Then I put up my Feminists for Life flier with resources for problem pregnancies. I stuck my "I'm straight but I'm not narrow" button from the LGBT center next to it, to suggest that that being pro-life doesn't mean I'm narrow-minded or judgmental.

One of my colleagues, teasing, said I put the gay-acceptance button next to the pro-life flier so the world would know how truly confused I am. I told him that I myself am not the least confused.

What I can't understand is why the rest of the world doesn't get it.

2 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Rachel's Big Dunk said...

I don't know, One Foot,

I think your collection of stuff makes perfect sense. In all cases you are affirming life and love.

Where is the inconsistency in that?

LOL.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Widening Circles said...

Rachel, thanks for seeing it that way. That is exactly where I am coming from!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home