Sunday, October 29, 2006

Endless cycles

I spent the afternoon raking leaves and (because I didn't finish the summer jobs when I should have) mowing grass.

(DearQuakerHusband doesn't do these jobs because he is violently allergic to grass and leaf mold, as well as to dust, which pretty much rules out the inside maintenance jobs as well. Because he tends to be more fun when when he's breathing, I do all of them. Mighty convenient on his part, if you ask me. In fairness, though, he does do some other jobs that I hate, including folding laundry and shopping for groceries, so I can't complain too much about this.)

Anyway, as I worked, I found myself wondering how many billion leaves I have raked in my life, and how many billion blades of grass I have mowed.

Not to mention how many socks I have laundered, how many dishes I have washed, how much dog hair I have swept up ...

And how many times I have regretted being short-tempered and snappish with husband and kids, turning away from a situation where I could have helped, saying unkind things about someone ...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could break these circles? I don't mean the raking and mowing, obviously; I figure global warming is about our only hope there. But sometimes I wish my sins were more dramatic, or at least more interesting. ("Sin boldly," Martin Luther said.) What hope is there for building world peace if we can't even stop picking at each other in so many little ways?

(Thought-provoking bumper sticker spotted on a car parked at church this morning: Who would Jesus bomb?)

2 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Mrs. M said...

Appreciated what you had to say. Also, was tickled to find another ECUSA/Quaker pair!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Widening Circles said...

mrs. m, I don't know which of you is which, but Quaker husbands are great, IMHO. (Probably Quaker wives, too!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home