Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Working without a net

It's all about trust, which when you think about it is one of the most irrational things we humans do.

Whether we're talking marriage or God, it starts out the same: I like what I know of you. I want to know more. I want to know know you completely. I know I never will, but I'm handing myself over to you anyway. Wherever you are, I want to be there. Whatever you're into, I want to be part of it. Just let me know what you need from me. I'm making you my one and only; don't let me down.

Logic says you could get hurt. Trust says you won't. Experience says you could get hurt, but trust tells you not to worry about that. One foot in front of the other; it's a little like making music together: You speed up, slow down, adjust pitch as necessary to keep the melody going. Sometimes it's easy to follow; sometimes more difficult. Sometimes you just have to improvise until you find your way back to the place where the music makes sense.

Relationships built on trust are what keep us going. Is there anything else we can do or possess or consume that can satisfy and sustain us in a way that endures?

It's crazy. It makes no sense at all. But then again, what else do we have?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home