Saturday, September 02, 2006

Impressions of Sept. 1 in Boston

Furniture all over the sidewalks, rental trucks doubled parked everywhere, brooms and buckets and cleaning supplies in every shopping cart in the supermarket. It's universal movng day here, the day when every lease begins, and students all over the city are moving in.

In short, it's the day of maximum chaos.

Hard as it is to believe that any sort of order will emerge from this mess, I know it will. We carried loads of bags and boxes to my daughter's fourth-floor (high ceilings, no elevator) apartment yesterday, and last night my daughter could not find any of her clothes, or the flatware, or the sheets for her bed. Piles of cardboard boxes took up most of the floor space.

Furniture--a coffee table, a TV stand--sat in boxes, waiting to be assembled. The couch was the only free surface in the room. Four exhausted parents made sure of that, collapsing onto it in a row after umpteen trips up and down the stairs.

But I know my daughter; I'm sure she found the sheets before she went to bed, located clean clothes to put on this morning, and will be more or less settled by the time classes start on Tuesday. When we come back next month to visit, the place will look as if she and her roommate had been living there for years. (I just hope my aching, aging muscles have recovered by then.)

Slowly, slowly, things are falling into place for me, too. A pattern is emerging in what I take from the daily Scripture readings and my own prayers, and I have to admit that it's scary and yet at the same time there is a kind of calm that comes with seeing a pattern emerge.

I'm reminded of the joke about the priest who turns away all of the rescuers who come for him as the floodwaters rise around his church. He keeps explaining that God will take care of him, right up to the moment when he is finally swept away. When he gets to the Pearly Gates, St. Peter asks what he's doing there, and he replies, "I don't know; I really thought God was going to provide."

"Look, we sent the guys in the firetruck," St. Peter says in exasperation. "Then we sent the guys in the boat, and finally we sent the helicopter. What the heck were you waiting for, anyway?"

So OK, I'm getting it here. Maybe I missed the message a couple of times already, but I'm getting it now.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Rachel's Big Dunk said...

That reminds me of the guy who keeps begging God to let him win the lottery. Finally, after years of entreaties God says to the guy,

"alright already. But could you at least buy a ticket?!"

Blessings on you in your new phase of life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home