Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A paradox in honor of the Feast of the Assumption

I went to Mass last night in honor of the Feast of the Assumption. I really wanted to be there, and in fact I was glad I went. The choir did some modern stuff that was unfamiliar but sounded good, both in composition and execution. We got multiple verses of everything but the recessional hymn (the prudent choir director does not attempt to hold back a church full of Catholics once they think it's time to go) so I had ample opportunity to exercise my voice, as well as my sight-reading abilities. Despite the fact that I can't remember much of the short homily beyond the point that Mary was someone who gave of herself to others, my impression at the time was that it was decently eloquent. The rest of it was pretty much as it always is.

I left feeling satisfied, but also not satisfied. This is often the case these days, but how is it possible? How can you be full and famished at the same time? Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing something more? Or is this just the human condition?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home