Sunday, August 27, 2006

My sister came to visit this weekend

My sister came to visit this weekend. Given her choice among my various churches, she picked the 8:30 Mass at my local Roman Catholic parish, where we sang the dumbest hymn I have ever heard. God forgive me for making fun of someone's earnest effort, but what is this?
For woman and man, a place at the table,
revising the roles, deciding the share,
with wisdom and grace, dividing the power ...

I support the sentiment, but I thought it had all the art of a badly composed public service jingle. Although come to think of it, maybe that isn't really fair to public service jingles. "Don't cross in the middle in the middle in the middle" is a lot catchier.

Anyway, I guess this was supposed to make up for the reading from Ephesians about wives being submissive to their husbands, which I've always found problematic. The priest skipped right past that in his homily, which he read from a piece of paper. He speaks so slowly I sometimes forget the beginning of a sentence by the time he gets to the end, so it's hard to remember everything he said, but as I recall he told us Jesus asks us to choose whether to follow him or not, and if we have faith, we'll choose to follow him. Can't quarrel with that, I guess. At least it was short.

This church used to have a priest who was popular for his witty and intelligent sermons, a retired guy who came to help out on Sundays, but he got swept away in one of the latest waves of the seemingly never-ending sexual abuse scandal.

Sad times.

2 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger AC said...

The reading that I heard used the term spouses instead of wife or husband. It didnt even mention being submissive.. I have a problem with that reading also

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Widening Circles said...

It's tempting to try to deal with it simply by changing "wives" and "husbands" to "spouses," but I'm not sure that's the right way to solve it. I'm no biblical scholar, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home