Friday, August 18, 2006

In the style of Taize

It's been a big week for extracurricular church services for me. Last night I went to a Taize service at one of my churches. Taize is the well-known ecumenical monastic community in France. I'd heard of the place, and I've noticed the hand-lettered sign that appears outside the church every month or so for this service, but I'd never attended. When it was announced in church last Sunday I decided I felt comfortable enough there to give it a try.

Naturally I did a little online research before I went. I learned that Taize worship typically takes place in a candle-lit church and includes chant-like hymns, a couple of Scripture readings, and periods of silence. A good combination for a Catholic Christian who likes to sing and who has been heavily influenced by Quakers, I thought.

Six of us showed up. We sang well and read well, and as usual I really enjoyed the special quality of shared silent worship. It lasted about an hour, which I guess was a good length though I would have been happy to go on longer. At the end, one of the regulars said she had experienced a strong sense of community that evening, and I had one of those "duh!" moments. That was the one thing missing for me on Tuesday ...

1 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger revabi said...

May you keep experiencing community there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home