Sunday, June 11, 2006

I'll have a latte and a glimpse of eternity, please

On weekend mornings when I have time and my dog is willing to accommodate me by walking a little farther than usual, I like to tie her up outside of Starbucks while I pick up a venti skim latte to savor on the way home. I keep a Starbucks card near the leash so I can slip it into my pocket and be prepared for this possibility. Unfortunately, I set out this morning not remembering that I had left it in my pocket through yesterday's wash cycle, and it turns out the magnetic strip containing the details of my credit standing was obliterated by the dryer.

I think if Purgatory exists, it must be a little like waiting in a long line and finally reaching the counter at Starbucks only to find that you've come up a couple of bucks short of what you need to get the coffee you so long for.

But there was an angel behind the counter this morning who, perhaps in recognition of my regular patronage or perhaps just out of the kindness of her heart, told me I could have this morning's brew for free. I could have left thinking thoughts about the colossal profit Starbucks has already realized from my steady patronage should more than cover it, but told myself not to. Instead I pondered how this small act of kindness had taken me past frustration to appreciation of the small pleasures of walking home behind a good dog with a hot cup of coffee in hand on a glorious Sunday morning in June.

I thought about one of the women who works as a cashier at the food court on the bottom floor of our building at the university. Not much of a job, most of us would probably say, but somehow she manages to greet every single person who goes through her line like a friend. When she looks at you she really sees you, and you come away feeling you have been given a small but not insignificant gift. What would the world be like if we all did our jobs like that?

5 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger jledmiston said...

Welcome to RevGals. And thanks for the tip about the dryer and our Starbucks cards. Yikes.

Look forward to reading more of your blog.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Lorna said...

it would be wonderful :) thank you for walking with a spring in your step right into the rev gals community. Glad you are here :)

be blessed as you continue to step out in faith and with joy

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Bad Alice said...

Welcome aboard! What you write about reminds me of a commercial I recently saw that made a big impression on me. Yes, a commercial of all things. Can't remember what for, but it starts with one person doing a small kindness for another person, such as holding the door, and you see someone in the background who has witnessed the exchange. Then that person in the background does a small service for someone, and so on. It made an impression on me because it was the onlooker, not the person who received the service, that we followed. And I think it's true. When we witness kindness, we are more likely to be kind.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Girl said...

Ooo...I saw that commercial too. I liked that it didn't focus on the person who was on the receiving end of kindness, but rather on the witness.

Welcome to RevGals

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Sally said...

Great post- thank you for the reminder about working with the right attitude- much needed here today... also I wonder how often we meet angels and don't notice them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home