Monday, March 06, 2006

Be holy


The LORD said to Moses,
"Speak to the whole assembly of the children of Israel and tell them:
Be holy, for I, the LORD, your God, am holy."
-Leviticus 19:1-2

That's how today's readings began. Next came the specific instructions: Don't steal, don't lie, don't swear falsely. They sounded so familiar, I was sure I could pretty much guess the rest of what was coming, but I was wrong. You shalt not withhold overnight the wages of your day laborer ... you shall not stand by idly when your neighbor's life is at stake.

Interesting stuff, followed by the gospel from Mark (Chapter 25), with its more familiar (thought perhaps better known in a slightly different translation): I was hungry and you gave me food.

We stand reminded that holiness is about more than getting along with God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home