Sunday, February 19, 2006

A warm welcome, and an admission

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Had a nice exchange of emails yesterday with the chaplain, following up on my appearance Tuesday afternoon at the service in the chapel. I know it's easier to notice who's new and to reach out to them when you are dealing with a relatively small group, but I've had two experiences now of showing up and being warmly welcomed into an Episcopal community and it's been much appreciated. (I know there are some, probably including my own parents, who would strongly prefer anonymity, but I am not one of those.)

I admitted to being a sort of "hybrid," unable to decide between Catholic and Episcopal affiliation, and he said he understood because he himself had made that transition in his late 20s. Of course, when I was in my late 20s, I was making the transition back into the Catholic Church after a period of being unchurched for nearly 10 years. Was that a mistake, I wonder now.

I mentioned to a friend that maybe it's wrong to reach back for the comfort of a Catholic community when I suspect I would not really satisfied there in the long run. I said I wondered if this was God giving me a chance to strike out in a whole new direction. She said maybe I ought to think of it as a chance to act on what I believe. And the odd thing is, I do think the Episcopal Church more accurately reflects much of what I believe. I'm just not sure about those one or two bits that might be crucial, beliefs about the sacraments for example, and I'm not sure I'll ever have the courage to break with "home."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home